All Natural DYI Lotion!
This is a fun and healthy alternative to the stuff you can get at the store with all of those harsh chemicals! There’s no reason to use all of that expensive poison when you can make your own ultra-nourishing lotion for about the same price!
Homemade Lotion Variations
There are a TON of variations, but some of my favorites are:
- Calendula and Chamomile for your baby’s skin
- Rosewater, Almond Oil, Peppermint, Wintergreen, and Ginger for sore muscles
- Coconut and Calendula for face
- Mint and green tea
- Lavender and vanilla
Just add these to the lotion recipe below to get your desired scent, or effect. You can customize by adding different essential oils, infusing your oils with herbs first using shea or cocoa butter in place of the coconut oil for moreof a body-butter consistency.
Homemade Lotion Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Almond or olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoon Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
- Optional: Essential Oils, Vanilla Extract or other natural extracts to suit your preference
How to Make Homemade Lotion
- Combine ingredients in a pint sized or larger glass jar,you can even reuse a glass jar from pickles, olives or other foods.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate. When all ingredients are completely melted, pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage. Small mason jars (8 ounce) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Use as you would regular lotion. This has a longer shelf life than some homemade lotion recipes since all ingredients are already shelf stable and not water is added. Use within 6 months for best moisturizing benefits.
Note: A little goes a long way! This lotion is incredibly nourishing and is also great for diaper rash on baby, for eczema and for preventing stretch marks!